The Islip Bulletin, which covers the south western portion of Islip Township (Bay Shore, Brightwaters, East Islip, Islip, West Islip, Islip Terrace and Great River) was first published 1948. Due to a fire, details of some of the ownership records were destroyed.
Edward Hartung owned the paper from 1954-1966, followed by J.N. Fanelli and LeRoy Van Nostrand from 1966-1980. In June 1980, a neighboring paper in Sayville, the Suffolk County News purchased the Bulletin. The owners were; JoAnn O’Doherty, Mary Lou Cohalan, John J. Hart and Donald A. Rettalliata.
Finally, both the Islip Bulletin and the Suffolk County News were sold in August 1985 to John T. Tuthill, 3rd. and wife Lorilei P. Tuthill. Tuthill is the publisher of the Long Island Advance, a 134 year old newspaper based in Patchogue.